Web Applications Developer
The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research seeks a Web Applications Developer to work in a collaborative team environment applying expertise and knowledge of web development and management techniques to design, develop, analyze and maintain effective web-based applications. The position will be involved in all stages of software/website development including conceptualization, development, testing and implementation and necessitates a thorough understanding of the full Software Development Life Cycle. This includes requirements definition, prototyping, detailed design, coding, testing, deployment, and support of the day-to-day operation of production systems. This is a hands-on, onsite position, requiring solid design and coding skills and strong technical communications. The successful candidate will have experience implementing effective solutions to a variety of challenges in design and coding, functionality and usability, scalability and optimization. S/he is able to function independently and produce results that meet standards of quality, timeliness and acceptability with minimal supervision and general direction and works as a team player, providing ideas and support to peers and the development team leadership.
Job Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in the requirements analysis, design, and development of web/mobile applications according to industry standards and best practices
- Code, test, debug, and document applications, and enhance existing applications to ensure that production systems continue to meet user needs
- Build web-based applications, both front-end (UI/UX) and back-end (services)
- Develop and manage unit tests and the testing process to test software functionality and prove design
- Contribute to the development of high level system architecture documents and detailed design specifications to serve as a guide for system/application development
- Provide estimates for work required to be completed based on user requirements
- Lead technical development on some projects
- Maintain basic understanding of industry application development best practices, tools, programming languages and techniques
- Produce documentation related to design and implementation work
- Maintain code storage, version control and project documentation
- Select and utilize appropriate software languages, frameworks and platforms for new and existing projects
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer-related field and at least one year of programming experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years hands-on experience with server-side web, MVC development, SOAP, ReST web services
- Solid knowledge of development methodologies and project life cycle
- Demonstrated experience with Web-database middleware development and languages, such as PHP, ColdFusion, etc.
- Demonstrated abilities in analytical reasoning and logical problem solving and a high attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently
- Job history indicating growth and development in the field
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Working knowledge of security issues within a web application environment
- Experience in managing web, file, and application server environments
- Excellent knowledge of object oriented programming
- Experience using version control software such as Subversion or Git
- Experience in Responsive Web Design (RWD) techniques
- Experience in developing for WordPress or Joomla CMS
- iOS and/or Android development experience
- Prior experience with MVC frameworks, CakePHP preferred
- Knowledge of user experience design and evaluation methods
- Understanding of subject indexing and classification including metadata schema
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.
To apply, Please apply online using Husky Hire to submit a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information of three references. Apply for the Web Applications Developer position.
Fall 2014 Data Archive Graduate Assistantship
Data Archive Graduate Assistantship position is now open to graduate students of the University of Connecticut as of August, 2014. Students in this position will be directly involved in processing (checking, verifying and cataloging) public opinion survey datasets into the Roper Center archives and will gain experience in basic data handling and analysis methods.
Data Processing and Analysis Assistant
Candidates should have some experience in quantitative social science data analysis and processing including experience with at least one of the major statistical software packages (preferably SPSS). Training will be provided in the specific processes employed by the Center and additional data handling procedures. Interest in survey research, current affairs, and politics is desirable.
- Familiarity with SPSS or some other major statistical package
- Basic knowledge of file transfer methods
- Organized and detail oriented
- Work well as part of a team
Email an attached cover letter and resume to Terry Emmons at email@example.com.
For more information, contact: Terry Emmons at firstname.lastname@example.org.